Saturday, December 22, 2018

Author Interview: Ryana Miller {12 Days of Christmas}

Day 9 of 12 is here already; Christmas is nearly here.  I hope everyone is enjoying their celebration preparations, whether it be decorating, cooking, or snitching the food.


Today we have another special guest—Ryana Miller!  Ryana has published one Christmas story, Coffee Shop Christmas.  Before we get into the interview, let's take a look at her bio:

Hey! I'm Ryana Lynn Miller and I'm  from Central North Carolina! I am currently the oldest at home, being third in line out of seven kids. I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist and staunchly Pro-Life.

When I'm not writing Historical Fiction or a Christmas Novella about First Responders,  I might be found making cards, researching Creation Science, singing with my siblings, learning about web design (I must stress the learning part!) and spending time outdoors. I also teach history in my family's Homeschool and I help in our family's ministry, representing fbnradio.com. (Please check out our site!)

I graduated from homeschool in 2013. I knew that I wanted to be an author, but I had no idea how much work was involved! My first novel was published in 2015/2016 (Printing around Christmas and New Years is not a good idea!) four years after I wrote the first draft.

You can visit Ryana's website and find her blog at lifeofheritage.com.


What inspired you to write a Christmas story?
Actually, two authors inspired my desire to write a Christmas story, Sarah Maxwell of Titus2.com and Victoria Minks of www.victoriaminks.com. Both had written Christmas stories that I loved and I realized, there really aren't enough good Christmas stories out there. I decided to "join the club."

What inspired you to write Coffee Shop Christmas?
Long story on this one. I found an article on how to write an outline for a novella and wanted to give it a try. Not long before, I had read a story by Victoria set in a Coffee Shop and I loved the setting. I thought it would make a cozy scene for a Christmas story, so I went with that. The outline was vague, but fun, I'd never done anything like that before. I threw a small police line in the story as as nod to my heroes. ;) Then I put it all away and forgot about it. That was fall 2015.

In the summer 2016, after all the negative media coverage began towards our law enforcement, I pulled out my outline and read it. I knew the time was right. After rewriting my plot, and adding a lot more police involvement, I sat down and drafted it.




While for some, Christmas is a time of pleasant memories, for others, it is a reminder of past tragedies. Police widow Katherine Shannon is one such person. Since the death of her husband a year ago, she has made ends meet running a coffee shop across from the town police station. But as time goes on, she’s questioning whether she should keep the shop open or if maybe God has something else in mind for her.


Can a cup of coffee really make a difference in this world? Can a coffee shop be used for God’s glory? Can God use burnt cookies and salted caramel lattés to open a door for Christian service? Or an overheard conversation to touch a heart? (Mark 9:41)



Through a series of God orchestrated events, she will find her answer. Come along and join Katherine as she finds God’s will for her life. Once you visit The Coffee Shop, you’ll never be the same.


What aspect of Christmas is your favorite to write about?
Hmmm...for this story, I loved creating the setting. To me, Christmas smells and feels a certain way or it just ain't right,lol! But telling the Christmas story was probably the best part. I have my protagonist telling the story of Christmas and Easter to a writer, so playing with the writer's mind's eye was fun, describing the smells, sights and feels as she thought it would be. As a writer, it was easy to do, haha!

Did you write your Christmas book during the Christmas season, or all year round?
No, I actually wrote the story in October, edited it in November, and set it aside again.

What is one aspect in your book that you have a personal connection with?
Good question. There are a few scattered through my story. The policeman in a wreck it's based on a neighbor of mine growing up who wrapped his patrol car around around tree. Thank God he survived, though he was badly injured.  Another is the book references in the story :^) and a reference to a grandpa fighting in WWII. My Great-grandfather served in the army during that war, so that was a nod to him, even though the only similarity he has to the story is the fact that he served :^)

I don't know if this counts, but this book really taught me a lot about how much my police force means to me. It drew me to find out more about them and realize how much they sacrifice for us. Of all my books, this one is has my heart.

What is one thing you want all your readers to get out of your Christmas book?
I'm gonna cheat and give you two;^)

First, I want people to look for opportunities to do work for Christ. Whether it's witnessing or encouraging someone, there is work to do if you'll look for it.

Second, respect your policeman. They are people just like me and you and they volunteer for all the stress that goes with the job to protect and serve...even if you don't like them. They are True heroes and need our prayers.

Shout out to Chief Hicks, Officer Allen and the Denton Police Department!  You are heroes! Thank you for your service! 



Thank you for joining us today, Ryana!
Tomorrow we have some Christmas music to help you write your Christmas WIP.
Check out Faith's blog for the rest of the participators, as well as the giveaway!

Click on the image to be redirected to Faith's blog

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the interview ! This was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! Loved learning more about Coffee Shop Christmas!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Glad you enjoyed, it was so fun! Aww, thank you! I love sharing my Coffee Shop Christmas journey!

      Delete

Follow Our Blog