Friday, December 21, 2018

20 Christmas Plot Starters {12 Days of Christmas}

Want to write a Christmas story but not sure where to start?  I'm back with 20 prompts for you!  


The first day of Christmas did not bring a partridge, and definitely not a pear tree.  Actually, a pear tree would've been preferable.


The snowflakes fell gently, blanketing the scene in a shimmering landscape broken only by the occasional tree on the slope.


"I'm sorry, there's nothing more I can do."  Those eight words sent them all to their knees in prayer for a Christmas miracle.


Pinching myself didn't wake me up from finding my three-year-old son wrapped in the lights that were supposed to end up on the tree.  The flashing lights gave me a headache that worsened at the mischievous glint in his eyes that promised more to come.


A Christmas without him wasn't what she had in mind.  Actually, nothing about this holiday was as she had imagined when the words "I do" escaped her lips.  But she hung the stockings on the mantle, his monogrammed initials deepening the ache in her heart.


I'm only a sheep, and I know animals are supposed to scare easily, but even I knew something was way off when the sky suddenly filled with angels.


"Go ahead," they said.  "It'll be hilarious," they said.  I should've known that the words "spike the eggnog" would have disastrous consequences the moment they popped out of the mouth of the same people that told me that cats love water.


It never grows old, that story of Christ's birth.  The manger, the star, the shepherds, the wise men.  Even though my thoughts were filled with visions of sugar plums when I went to bed that Christmas Eve, the Christmas story came to life in my dreams in a way I'd never seen before.


"Mama, why do people sing to Santa baby?  Santa's not the baby—Jesus is."  My daughter's simple question began a long discussion beside the crackling fire, one that lasted long into the night.


The candle's flame flickered in the slight breeze, illuminating a winter wonderland that stretched beyond the fire's light.  A wonderland that beckoned her to discover all the secrets that it held.


"Avalanche!" the single word struck terror into the heart of every person present.


Snowflakes on green leaves and whiskers on reindeer, Comet and Cupid with Rudolph to steer.  Bright-colored packages tied up with string, these are a few of Santa's favorite things...


A myriad of sweaters gave the appearance of hallucinations as people mingled in the stifling atmosphere.  The Ugly Sweater Pageant was off with a bang.


Pine boughs and bits of ribbon bordered the stage, with candles lighting a ring around the center.  But it was the item inside that circle that caught every eye and caused a mutual gasp to rise out of the crowd.


The three ships I saw sailing in on Christmas Day weren't in the morning.  Actually, I'm not sure why they sailed in at all.  But they certainly caused quite a stir.


"Fresh apple cider!  Hot cocoa!  Freshly-brewed coffee!"  The cry floated above the rush of shoppers.  It went unheeded by all.  All, that is, except for the gentleman in the orange suit.


Home for Christmas.  The words tickled her lips, sending a shiver down her spine.  At last, at long last, she would be home for Christmas.


A simple gift.  That's all I had to offer.  It was small, but even then I could hardly afford it.  The smallest gift on the pile.  Yet it was my gift that made her face light up as bright as the lights on the tree.


My name is Joshua.  I hitched a ride in the caravan of wise men that are following the star to find the Messiah.  This is my story.


Bells pealed, trumpets sounded, the angels rejoiced at the news: "Christ is born!"  At last, the triumph over the devil was set in motion.


I hope you can use one—or more—of these to put your creativity to use!
Again, visit Faith's blog for the list of participants, as well as the giveaway:

Click on the image to be redirected to Faith's blog

3 comments:

  1. Oh, now all I want to do is write Christmas Stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous... Stahhppp though. I want to write #5 now and break some hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! These are pure gold! I might have to use a few of these! ;D

    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete

Follow Our Blog